If Pastor John [Winebrenner] could return today,...
What would he think of this, our work?
He would marvel at our abundance
And yet see beyond . . . into men’s souls
And find there, the same deep hunger
And hear the same insistent call:
Preach Jesus--O the glory of preaching Jesus.
--Rev. Roy Schreiner, D.D., from Historical Pageant (1960)
Winebrenner Theological Seminary (WTS) was established in 1942 as a graduate school of theology of Findlay College (renamed The University of Findlay in 1989). In 1961, WTS received its charter from the State of Ohio, to become an independent, degree-granting institution.
WTS was founded by the Churches of God, General Conference (CGGC), an evangelical denomination headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The Seminary derives its name from the founder of the denomination, John Winebrenner, who established the group in 1825 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
WTS continues to serve the CGGC as its sole seminary as well as students from 35 different denominational backgrounds. Winebrenner offers four masters programs, a Doctor of Ministry program and collaborates with The University of Findlay to offer a Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies program.
Click here to read A History of Winebrenner Theological Seminary in Three Movements