Dr. James Sweeney, Director
The M.Div. is available at both the Findlay, OH and Scotland, PA locations.
The purpose of the Master of Divinity program is to prepare men and women for Christian ministry, whether in local church settings, chaplaincy expressions, or parachurch contexts. It equips them with the skills needed to function effectively in formal ministry. The Master of Divinity program requires study and competence in four traditional, interrelated disciplines: (1) Biblical Studies, encompassing the content and contexts of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, with the requirement of learning Hebrew and Greek, (2) Church History, where one learns from the accumulated wisdom and challenges of previous generations of fellow Christians, (3) Theology, the systematic study and articulation of the Christian faith; and (4) Christian Ministries, where one acquires needed skills and develops ministry competence.
Some common career paths for M.Div. students are:
- Ordained ministry
- Vocational ministry
- Theological/Biblical foundation for leadership in Christian ministry contexts
- Teaching Bible or religious studies at the secondary school level
- Personal Theological/theological enrichment in conjunction with Christian counseling
- Service in a para-church organization
- Spiritual direction ministry